what our tours are about
We endeavor to make every trip your favorite trip. We put a lot of thought into every itinerary, from the exact route we take to the lodging, transportation, and food. We try to make sure you see as many birds as possible, while gaining an understanding of the birds themselves and the environment they live in. We don't miss opportunities to sample the local culture and try local foods, which are integral parts of having a great travel experience. And although these are primarily birding tours, our guides love all wildlife and we make sure that you see some of the incredible non-bird wildlife in the places we visit.
We try to ensure that our trips run as smoothly as possible and that you have and easy, relaxing travel experience. Our trips generally start and end at airports and the price includes airport transfers if you are arriving and departing on the listed dates. Although every trip (and every day!) is different, a typical day will see us up early for early morning birding, followed by breakfast in the field or at the lodge, followed by birding until lunch, an afternoon siesta when possible and advantageous, and then late afternoon birding. On many tours, there will be optional nighttime excursions for nocturnal birds and animals.
You won't find many of the trips we run in our tour schedule; this is because we run many custom trips. Custom Trips are a great way to travel, and are often very economical. For Custom Trips, we can put together an itinerary to suit you and your group's interests, whether it's a hard-core, non-stop, endemic-focused birding trip, a more casual birding and culture trip, a specialized bird or wildlife photography trip, or any combination of activities. We will work with you to make sure the trip fits your interests and runs at your desired pace.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE TRIP PRICE
Most of our trips include the following:
- All meals (usually from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on the departure day), including bottled water (on some international trips) and sodas, and some snacks
- All ground transportation, including airport transfers and internal flights
- Accommodations as set forth in the itinerary
- An expert RED HILL BIRDING guide and local guides where applicable
- Entrance fees to local parks, reserves, and activities as set forth in the itinerary
- A bound checklist to keep track of bird and animal sightings
Some of our trips (typically custom trips) include:
- Tips to local guides and drivers
- Special activities outside of the typical itinerary
Our trips typically do not include:
- Airfare to the tour starting location or from the departure location
- Travel insurance. Travel insurance is not required for most of our trips, but it is always highly recommended.
- Optional activities, as set forth in the itinerary, or activities outside of those mentioned in the itinerary (such as optional night drives, pelagic trips, museum visits, etc.)
- Alcoholic beverages
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE TRIP DETAILS FOR YOUR TRIP TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS AND IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE. GET IN TOUCH WITH US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.
This has been a fabulous, fascinating, astonishing, interesting, enlightening trip. Your exceptional knowledge and skill in every aspect made for an incredible experience.
— M.W., SOUTH AFRICA (Custom tour)